Virgin Coconut Oil (VOC) has become the new “it” oil! And no wonder…it has been used for hundreds if not thousands of years by the Pacific Islanders and by many in various parts of Asia. It has amazing antifungal(i), brain boosting(ii), wound healing(iii), antiviral, and antibacterial(iv) properties.
As such I have 5 great uses for virgin coconut oil beyond cooking that can help you tap into its great properties:
1. Lip balm – due to its healing and soothing properties it is great in a lip balm. I make mine with VOC, beeswax, tea tree oil and peppermint oil.
2. Face-wash/toothpaste – VOC has such great antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties why wouldn’t you want to use it as a toothpaste. Plus you can use the toothpaste as a face wash, as it leaves the skin so soft and clean. I use a recipe with baking soda – you can check out my recipe here.
3. Moisturizer – I just use the VOC as is. Yes, just pure Virgin Coconut Oil. It feels great and with all of its great healing properties that boost collagen levels why not give your skin pure nature rather than all the chemicals in modern moisturizers
4. Chest rub (Vicks replacement) – I use the VOC to give the soothing softness to my chest rub which is made with beeswax, VOC, peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils.
5. Cold & flu remedy – because of the antimicrobial properties of VOC, studies have suggested that taking coconut oil can reduce the fever, restore normal breathing and lung functions with pneumonia patients(v). So at the first sign of a cold or flu my family gets a tablespoon of VOC twice daily to give them every bit of help.
(i) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17651080 In vitro antimicrobial properties of coconut oil on Candida species in Ibadan, Nigeria.Ogbolu DO1, Oni AA, Daini OA, Oloko AP.
(ii) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15123336 Effects of beta-hydroxybutyrate on cognition in memory-impaired adults. Reger MA1, Henderson ST, Hale C, Cholerton B, Baker LD, Watson GS, Hyde K, Chapman D, Craft S.
(iii) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20523108 Effect of topical application of virgin coconut oil on skin components and antioxidant status during dermal wound healing in young rats. Nevin KG1, Rajamohan T.
(iv) http://coconutoil.com/coconut-oil-offers-hope-for-antibiotic-resistant-germs/ Coconut Oil Offers Hope for Antibiotic-Resistant Germs
(v) http://www.naturalnews.com/025038_coconut_child_oil.html Coconut Oil: A Natural Remedy for Pneumonia
Coconut photo courtesy of Pixomar at FreeDigitalPhotos.net